Need a church home in Tampa? Real Life Church

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Broken and Contrite


Ps 51:10-12 Create in me a clean heart o God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant to me a willing spirit to sustain me.

David had sinned big time. Not only did he see Bathsheba bathing and even though she was married, sent for her, slept with her and got her pregnant, but he had her husband sent to the front lines to be killed. Talk about a gross misuse of power.

David knew what it was like to be in God's presence and to have His Holy Spirit's influence in his life.

In Psalm 51, David turned to God, knowing that to do otherwise would separate him from God forever, and likely speed up his own death. He had seen many others die for less. He knew sacrifices wouldn't cut it. That would be external only - action without intent of the heart.

The sacrifice God wanted was a broken spirit - which David had - and a contrite heart - a willingness to TURN back in God's direction rather than following his own lusts and desires.

Psalm 51:10-12 is that cry of David's heart.

Lord, every day, create in me a clean heart and give me the joy of knowing You and You knowing me by name.

No comments:

Post a Comment